Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Clap Real Hard


"‘If you believe’, he shouted to them, ‘clap your hands; don’t let Tink die.’
Some clapped.
Some didn’t.
A few little beasts hissed.

The clapping stopped suddenly....but already Tink was saved... (Peter Pan by JM Barrie (first published in 1911, by Hodder & Stoughton)).


My favorite thing about the above quote (other than the Tinkerbell reference) is the source.  It's featured in the Macquarie Law Journal (2004) Vol. 4 and is taken from an article titled:


THE RULE OF LAW AND THE TINKERBELL EFFECT: THEORETICAL CONSIDERATIONS, CRITICISMS AND JUSTIFICATIONS FOR THE RULE OF LAW
 

 which I provide a link to here:
because it's some decent reading.
 
I mean this article has everything you could want in a gripping legal treatise (or bed time story)--Tinkerbell, feminists, Marxists, Nazis, and Hayekian obsession with the evils of the welfare state.

The author's conclusion, however, is what I would like to draw your attention to since it supports my personal conviction that everyone needs to Clap Real Hard.  For me.  Because this Tinkerbell will very shortly have a real live job interview.

At 8:30 a.m. tomorrow morning, Thursday November 7, I will meet with the person that may hold the key to my future (however lengthy or brief) in Arizona.  If enough of my family and friends believe firmly enough that I do have a job, and clap real hard, then there is legal precedence that your support and enthusiasm will alter the quantum state of possibility into the tangible fabric of reality.

Or at least, as the author of the legal article concludes,
"I have argued that we should try to believe in it because like Tinkerbell, if we believe enough it might become real."

Of course I realize you know I'm totally kidding, but I appreciate all the prayers, good wishes, and positive vibes you could aim my direction.

Thanks, and I'll let you know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment