Friday, November 8, 2013

Un Plato de Nirvana

Not this kind of Nirvana...
THIS kind...
 
Oh. My. Heavens.
 
No need for a to go box this day.  My plateful of bliss was provided by chef Susana Davila of Café Poca Cosa, possibly the coolest place I have ever eaten.
 
 
 
When I say cool, I mean elegant, trendy, and too hip for a menu.  Rather, the wait staff come by with a handwritten chalkboard listing the available fare.  This isn't a conceit, but a necessity.  Chef Davila isn't constrained by a menu but rather flows with her imagination and what ingredients are currently available and of the highest quality.  Therefore, the chalkboard needs to be updated every two hours or so.

Our server recounted the ins and outs of each menu item with an almost surgical knowledge of ingredients, preparation methods, and other unique features without coming across as unctuous or snooty.  In short, she was really selling it.

And we were buying it.  My girlfriends and I each went for the famous Plato Poca Cosa.  This offering is legendary: Three surprise entrees of the chef's choosing arranged as beautifully as any floral bouquet.  Each of us had a uniquely crafted plate with completely unique entrees.  Here was mine:

 
Starting a 6 o'clock you have a perfectly seasoned shredded beef taco in a handmade corn shell baked in roasted salsas and topped with fresh pico de gallo.  In the center you have a delicious salad of spring greens and shredded beets garnished with a fresh pineapple wedge.  At 12 o'clock is my favorite entrée because it was so surprising: a sweet corn masa tamale pie garnished with stewed plums.  Incredibly delicious and rich.  Then rounding out the plate at 4 o'clock you have a melt-in-your-mouth breast of chicken in a hearty red mole sauce.
 
Dang, Chef Davila.  I wanted to kiss her by the time I was finished.
 
So if you come to Tucson to visit me, you know where I'm taking you for lunch!

1 comment:

  1. By the way, the prices are considerably lower for lunch. I thought I'd mention it in case the prices on the chalkboard gave you sticker shock.

    ReplyDelete